Labor Day has passed, and the leaves are starting to change here in Camden Maine. This time of year is special. The colors are fantastic and the activities are unique to the changing season. The leaves have hues of green, yellow, crimson and burnt orange. As early as mid-September we start to see leaves changing. High Peak is usually the second week in October. The fall activities in the Camden Maine Area are starting NOW. There are festivals, apple picking, corn mazes and brilliant leaf peeping the next couple of months in Maine. If you haven’t already made your plans, don’t worry there is still time.
Fall Festivals in MidCoast Maine
September 12 – 15 2019.
The Camden Riverhouse Hotel and Inn is pleased to once again sponsor this great non-fiction film festival in Camden and Rockland Maine. This festival is one of our favorite fall activities in the Camden Maine area. Three full days of films, discussions and parties. The film festival has become an industry leader in presenting great documentaries. The Forum has launched numerous film makers careers. The downtown’s of Camden and Rockland are transformed into hip epicenters for the film industry. The Camden Riverhouse is walking distance to the Camden Opera House, where a lot of the action happens.
Sept 20 – 22 2019.
This annual fair celebrates the local organic farmers of Maine and has over 60,000 visitors. The fair has demonstrations on farming and animals. Our favorite is the sheep dog demonstration. Come for the demonstrations, but stay for the food. The food selections are fantastic. There are tasty options from blueberry pies to Maine ingredient egg rolls. There is something for everyone.
Apple Picking and Corn Mazes in MidCoast Maine
Nothing says fall like picking apples and running through a corn maze.
- Hope Orchards in Hope Maine open September 21 and has several different varieties of apples. Not far from downtown Maine. The property of the Camden Riverhouse also has lots of apples that the crew pick and make available at the front desk. In addition to the apple picking, we also highly recommend
- Beth’s Farm Corn Maze located in Warren Maine. Fresh produce and baked goods are available at the stand. The corn maze at Beth’s gets more and more challenging each year. This is a great fall activity in the Camden Maine area.
Leaf Peeping Drive in MidCoast Maine
Sometimes the most relaxing thing to do is to sit back and enjoy the scenery. Our favorite leaf peeping drive is a drive around Camden Hills State Park.
- Start at the Camden Riverhouse Hotel, drive up tree lined Rt 52 towards Lincolnville, along the way you pass the cliffs of Mt. Megunticook, Megunticook Lake and Maiden’s Cliff.
- At the Youngtown Inn, make a left and follow Youngtown Rd to the Cellardoor Winery – stop and do a wine tasting and enjoy the views. (great place to have dinner – Youngtown Inn)
- Continue on Youngtown Rd to Beach Road – You could stop at Dolce Vita Farm for some brick oven pizza if you are interested. Turn Left for the pizza, but turn right to keep going on the Leaf peeping tour
- Drive east on Beach Road until you get back to Rt 1 in Lincolnville Beach. Enjoy the tiny downtown of Lincolnville.
- Head south on rt 1. Rt 1 between Lincolnville and Camden is tree lined and has wonderful ocean views.
- Drive south until you get to the Camden Hills State Park entrance.
- Drive up Mt. Battie to the Look Out Tower. Enjoy the views.
- Drive back down and continue south on rt 1. You will arrive back in Camden Maine and the Camden Riverhouse Hotel.
Speaking of Wine!
Did you know that there is a Statewide Maine Open Winery Day? September 21, 2019.
On September 21st , wineries across the state will be hosting tastings, tours, and special events to celebrate Maine Open Winery Day. It’s an opportunity for Maine’s winemakers to showcase their wineries and for customers to learn more about making wine from traditional and not-so-traditional products.
Starting with a single winery in 1983 making blueberry wine, Maine winemakers are now using grapes, native fruits, and even maple syrup to produce wines that are garnering regional, national and even international awards. Each winery has special products, great stories, and a lot to share with the public about what makes their products special whether it’s wine, mead, cider, or spirits. This is an opportunity for them to share their stories and showcase their products.
Bartlett Winery | 175 Chicken Mill Pond Road Gouldsboro 207.546.2408
Blacksmiths Winery | 967 Quaker Ridge Road South Casco 207.655.3292
Bar Harbor Cellars | Route 3 Bar Harbor 207.288.3907
Breakwater Vineyards | 33 Ash Point Drive Owls Head 207-594-1721
Catherine Hill Winery | 661 Blackwoods Road Cherryfield 207-546-3426
Cellardoor Winery & Vineyards | 367 Youngtown Road Lincolnville 207.763.4478
Dragonfly Farm Winery | 1069 Mullen Road Stetson 207-296-2226
eighteen twenty wines l Tasting Room l 219 Anderson Street, Portland, ME 207-517-0820
Fat Friar Meadery | 39 Meadow Ridge lane Newcastle 207-563-5382
Maine Mead Works | 51 Washington Ave Portland 207-773-6323
Prospect Hill Winery | 318 Orrills Hill Road Lebanon 207-651-9335
Royal River Winery | 56 Ryder Road Yarmouth 207.712.4500
Savage Oaks Vineyard & Winery | 174 Barrett Hill Road Union 207-785-2828
Shalom Organic Farm & Winery | 158 Eastbrook Road Franklin 207-565-2312
Sow’s Ear Winery | Brooksville 207.326.4649
Sweetgrass Farm & Wine Distillery | 347 Carroll Road Union 207-785-3024
Two Hogs Winery | 186 Mudget Hill Road Vassalboro 207-660-5594
Winterport Winery | 279 South Main St. Winterport, Maine 04496 207.223.4500
Wild Fern Winery | 235 Farmington Falls Road Farmington 207-778-5276
Unity Winery & Vineyards | 317 Albion Road Unity 207-948-7777
The Best Place to Stay for A Maine Fall Adventure
Camden Riverhouse Hotel and Inns is a great option to stay in Midcoast Maine. The Riverhouse Hotel and Inn location right in downtown is ideal because after you enjoy all the Maine Fall Activities, you can relax and walk to dinner or stroll over the Camden Riverhouse Hotel Footbridge to the River Ducks Ice Cream Stand. Make your reservations now. For those guests that want a little extra room, try our Suites or townhouse apartment, go to: www.camdenmaine.biz