Camden Maine Rainy Day Activities
Raining during your vacation? No worries check out our list of favorite things to do.
Where the Mountains Meet the Sea
A wonderful Rainy Day Activities List – but let’s start with our
TOP TEN RAINY DAY ACTIVITES updated for 2021
It’s raining on your vacation?! Not to worry, there are lots of great things to do in Camden Maine and MidCoast Maine on rainy days. We put together a list of our favorite rainy-day activities. From classic candlepin bowling to the tallest bridge observatory – there is something for everyone. Also, keep your head high and look for those rainbows that frequently appear over Camden Harbor after the rain!
OUR TOP 10:
- Enjoy a book at the comfortable Camden Public Library on Atlantic Ave. The Wifi is free and the chairs are comfortable!
- Go shopping. Just steps from our front door are Main Street shops. Some of our favorites are Once a Tree and the Smiling Cow.
- Go Antiquing- Antiques Etcetera in Rockland, Antiques at 10 Mechanic and Elmer’s Barn in Whitefield are our favorites!
- Visit the Independent Book Shop in Belfast – Left Bank Books. While in Belfast – Visit the Oldest Shoe Store in operation: Colburn Shoe Store
- Visit the Owls Head Transportation Museum vintage aircraft, cars, and more – while there Enjoy lunch at lunch at the Owls Head General Store. The famous 7 napkin burger!
- Candlepin bowling in Rockport Maine. Oakland Park Bowling
- Walk through the old stone corridors of Fort Knox in Bucksport. Then take a ride up the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory, the tallest Bridge Observatory tower in the World. Open May – October.
- Take in a movie at the Flagship Cinemas in Thomaston, the Strand in Rockland, or the Colonial Theater in Belfast.
- Stay fit: purchase a day pass at our YMCA (facilities in Camden and Rockland), or check out the Samoset Resort Fitness Center in Rockport.
- Explore the Farnsworth Art Museum in downtown Rockland – great Wyeth paintings and various visiting collections. Great shops & restaurants all around the museum!
- Take a short drive to Searsport and enjoy the Penobscot Marine Museum.
- Check out the Project Puffin Visitor Center while in Rockland – see puffins in their natural habitat.
- There is always something good to see at the Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport.
- Maine Maritime Museum in Bath
- Knox Museum in Thomaston
- Visit the Maine Lighthouse Museum, featuring the nation’s most significant collection of lighthouse and lifesaving artifacts, in Rockland.
- Sail, Power and Steam Museum in Rockland
Visit the Mid-Coast Recreation Center in Rockport for indoor tennis and fitness classes, and ice skating (winter months only).
Check out the indoor, multi-sports complex, PITCH, on Route 90 in Warren.
Local Arts & Crafts – Wine and Gin Tastings
- Visit Windsor Chair Makers in Lincolnville to catch a glimpse of beautiful furniture made locally.
- Venture to the Cellardoor Winery on Youngtown Rd. in Lincolnville – BY RESERVATION ONLY
- Visit the Sweetgrass Distillery and Savage Oaks Winery and have lunch at the Come Spring Café or the Badger Pub in Union.
- Take a short drive North on Rte 1 to Swans Island Blankets and watch the weavers hard at work.
- Blue Barren Gin – DISTILLERY & TASTING ROOM – by reservation only
After a long rainy day, return to the Camden Riverhouse properties and enjoy the real wood fire pit, the indoor pool or just relax in your private room. We look forward to seeing you this season. Don’t let the rain keep you away!